Monday, August 27, 2007

The Lies

I lied. I didn’t want to bring my younger siblings with me. I didn’t want you to meet them. Most importantly, I didn’t want them to meet you. Because you’re a new friend. A friend I’m not sure I want to continue having. And so I lied. More than once. Do you know? I lied that my siblings wanted to tag along – hoping you’d decline and say you wouldn’t go anymore. I don’t know what you were thinking – what you are thinking. But you said you’d have no problem going, even if my siblings and parents went along. Unless I minded. I lied and said no. I don’t mind. But the truth is. I do. And I really didn’t want to go with you, because I know we’re not a match – even friendship-wise.

You winked at me on Match.com. And though I really didn’t like your photos, and the grammatical and spelling errors in your emails bugged the hell out of me, I thought I’d meet you. Why pay for a service and not use it? So we met and had coffee. You talked a lot. I listened. We parted and I didn’t expect to hear from you. I purposely didn’t talk – it’s an easy repellent.

But you emailed me and we went out again, despite the uneasiness I felt around you. I actually didn’t want to go out with you again, but my friend said I should continue – 6 dates will tell. But we stopped at 4. You left me a message asking me to call you back. I was actually looking forward to finishing to date 6. But you said you had met someone else and wanted to see where things would go with her. Of course, I said, no problem I understand. Good luck.

I laughed after we hung up. Did you know? I had been rejected. A first. When I called you, I had been planning on asking you out for something I don’t remember now. Good thing I didn’t – because you rejected me. And so I lied. I told others I rejected you. My ego was bruised. And so I plotted. I wanted to see if I could make you like me again – enough to want to date me again.

I asked you if we could be friends. You said yes, and we began to go out as friends. I let you in my world, ever so briefly, I let you see what I would have eventually allowed you to see. And now, you asked me if I would consider dating again. But I said no. Let’s just be friends? You said okay. But, the truth is, I don’t think I want to be friends with you anymore.

It was all a summer fling I think. As much of a fling as it was. And so I apologize for using you. But, in essence, I think you were using me too. So, we’re cool now, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home